By Theresa Christine
My friend introduced me to a simple hair treatment that she does, and the second she mentioned it I knew I had to try it. She has literally the most beautiful locks a human could have, and when I run my fingers through my slightly frizzy, tangled mane I can’t help but feel a little jealous. After trying it just once, I am officially sold and now do the treatment every time I wash my hair.
What you’ll need:Coconut oil (available for cheap at most chain grocery stores) A shirt you don’t mind getting a little dirty A comb Plastic wrap Shower cap Your sink and some soap Shampoo
1. Put on your shirt, and then comb through your hair to get rid of any tangles.
2. Divide your hair into three sections: the right side, left side, and the back. They don’t have to be equal, it will just make application easier.
3. Grab about a tablespoon of oil in your hands and start to work it into one of the sections of hair. Where should you apply? Well, my hair gets crazy oily at the base, so I only put coconut oil on the bottom half of my locks. Ultimately, the focus should be on your ends, so try not to get closer than 3 inches to your scalp.
4. Grab more oil as needed and work into each section. Take your comb and comb through each section individually, and then bring them all together. Twist into a bun.
5. Wrap some plastic wrap around your head to keep it all in place. Blast Milkshake by Kelis and dance around your bathroom. Okay, actually the music and dance are optional, but it’s fun because let’s be real here, you’ll look ridiculous. Note: don’t wrap the saran wrap too tight–I made this mistake and got an awful headache from it–but make sure to cover as much of your hair as possible. Once you’re all wrapped up, wash your hands.
6. Shower cap on. Aren’t you a pretty thing!
7. Play the waiting game. Leave the oil on for at least 20 minutes, but you can actually leave it on as long as you’d like–even overnight!
8. For rinsing your beautiful mane, you’ll need to really work in that shampoo to get the oil out. It’s totally normal to have to lather, rinse, and repeat once or twice. Then, style as you normally do.
9. Knock ‘em dead!